Civilians flood out of the old Valetta railway station as the all-clear sirens sound. The Royal Opera House lies in pieces in the foreground having been hit a short time before (the photo was issued by Associated Press on 18th May 1942).
The two wider arches were added to the original station in around 1898 when new ramps were driven down to the platforms, replacing the steps in the old part of the building. Before the railway closed in 1931 the arch on the right led down to the ditch with a gated entrance to the platforms, whilst the adjoining arch led directly to the trains.
First published on the Malta Railway Facebook page August 2024


No responses yet